March 2021 Meeting Minutes

Meeting of the Four Corners Rifle and Pistol Club 3/30/2021

The meeting was brought to order by President Mike Upchurch @ 6:32 pm with the Pledge of Allegiance.

There were 19 members present who introduced themselves.

Secretary Jenn Reynolds read the February minutes which were motioned and passed.

  • Mike wanted an update on vendor issues mentioned from last month’s Gun Show update – The vendor has not made contact, so update yet.
  • Ron Ferguson of RDF will act as FFL for the Gun Show

Treasurer Anita Mayhew presented the treasurer’s report which was motioned and passed.  The ending balance for the month of March is $92,966.40

Old Business:

  • Tim Hunter has reported that someone is using the 3 Gun shooting area, despite the closed gate with signage that it isn’t to be used. Mike Upchurch noted that the club can’t afford to have an accident at the outdoor range, to which Mic McPherson agreed adding that if the gate is closed, the 3 Gun range shouldn’t be in use, and violations to club rules need to be corrected.
  • Training – Joe Drago
    • The more Range Safety Officers (RSOs) in the club, the better. Typically most clubs have RSO’s at the range any time it is open.
    • The Planned RSO class has been filled with non-members as it was run through the NRA website.
    • Planning to do a second+ class to get membership through the training.
    • Thinks that the NRA training division is no longer the gold standard and that there are other training programs that the club may need to look at.
    • Will use the scheduled RSO class to also go over the new shooter orientation.
    • Need to promote safe gun handling and range safety to all gun owners
    • Proposed a Training Division:
      • Most gun clubs require new members to go through a new member orientation before being allowed to use facilities
      • The club should become a training facility
      • Good fundraising tool to rent space to trainers
    • Wants to explore a way to sign up for training through the 4CRP website.
  • Mike Upchurch
    • Wants to make safety a top priority for the club and its resources
      • Agrees with working towards a mandatory safety orientation
    • Gun Show 23-25 April – Gayel Alexander
      • So far: 39 Vendors and 85 Tables have been sold
      • Banner goes to City week of April 5
      • Civil Air Patrol will be setting up and tearing down tables as community service
      • Fliers are out and about the entire Four Corners area – 250 fliers in total
      • Needed to purchase new insurance for the event – discounted at $782.50
      • We Will be setting up a volunteer schedule
      • Advertising CREA (Cortez Retail Enhancement Association) – $2k going towards news, social media, banner, radio, and fliers. Will be advertising Brandi’s CCW class at the gun show.
      • Marti with US Lawshield will be doing a seminar
      • Tables and Vendors will not finalize until a couple of days before the show
      • No Montrose show this year – may get new vendors
      • Pagosa Springs is having their show Father’s Day weekend.
    • Outdoor Range – Chuck Wark
      • Chuck had a work conflict and was unable to make meeting
      • Jim Kingery is looking into cost to have outdoor range weeds sprayed – should be under $300
      • Executive Board will get RSO vest to wear to an outdoor range, will greet people and ask for membership cards, make sure members don’t have questions, etc…
    • Indoor Range – Mic McPherson
      • Nothing new for Indoor Range
      • Brought up hiccups with newsletter transition
      • Updated on Video Camera progress
    • Director – Larry Percell
      • Rimfire/Centerfire bench rest event – added a new competition class for those who don’t have correct rifles – can shoot an off-the-shelf gun.
    • Shooter – Norm Bowie
      • Raffle Tickets orders, the gun purchased, Mic McPherson offered to donate ammo for rifle
      • Cortez’s Competition is on April 10th and 11th. Practice on 8th and 9th
      • Montrose team camps outside the indoor range
      • March 20th and 21st for Montrose Competition – 42 competitors
        • Our team had a 1st and a 3rd place win
      • Currently have 18 shooters, looking for 2 more
      • Word of Mouth is the best advertising
      • The cost to the shooter is $10/competition. Gun and ammo provided.
    • Annual BBQ
      • The menu changed to keep costs down
      • A motion was made to increase the price per plate to $10. Was approved by the membership
    • Electronic Gate
      • Jenn Reynolds presented a quote by Gateway Locks for a new electronic gate at the outdoor range. Would be dual credential: Code + Proc Card entry.
      • The need for a log of users was discussed, and benefits and cost-saving for the club by moving away from metal key/padlock system
      • Pricing and equipment were discussed
      • Moved to table for the executive meeting then vote by the general membership
    • Marti – US Law Shield
      • Largest legal defense for self-defense
      • Asked Club if we would like to be a facility with USLS – does not cost the club money and we would receive $30/membership sold at events
      • Joe Drago took the facility contract to look over
      • Was motioned to table until the club can look over the contract and see if allowed per by-laws before bringing to the membership for a vote.

The meeting was adjourned at 9:00 pm

Four Corners Rifle and Pistol Club

Four Corners Rifle and Pistol Club

Note events at the Outdoor Range this coming weekend! Check out the latest Crack Shot